Unfortunately, medical emergencies can appear in the daily routine of life, unwantedly and without any warning. This is why having child health insurance and an accessible medical first-aid kit is essential to assist in the case of any accident. Actual professional medical help is always the goal, but until help arrives in an emergency situation, a first-aid kit is going to be extremely beneficial to have on hand. Individuals should consider having some sort of first-aid supplies with them wherever they go. If you don’t have any first-aid resources, a great place to begin your prep is by keeping some medical essentials in your car. Many don’t realize that when you purchase a vehicle from a dealership, it’s common practice for the showroom to provide a complimentary compact first-aid kit to keep in your vehicle. This is a great resource to use when you are out and about and need minimal first-aid supplies.
Many choose to have a larger and better stocked first-aid kit for medical accidents that happen at the home. These medical kits may or may not include prescriptions for some, based on the needs of the individual. Whether a kit includes simple medications or bandages, it’s good to have the basics available to help as initial treatments if someone gets hurt. Having said that, what is considered a first-aid kit? How does it work and what things should be included in a supplies kit? These are the common questions that individuals should be thinking about and be informed on.
What is a First-Aid Kit?
A first-aid kit is a small box or container that includes equipment for medical emergency treatments. Further, a kit is beneficial for minor injuries such as cuts, scrapes, burns, etc., and can provide first-contact treatment for a victim before professional medical assistance can be received.
Moreover, the following are four principles that should be incorporated at the time of a medical emergency in addition to first-aid kit use:
- Stay calm so you can best support the injured person.
- Consider the current physical environment of the injured individual and assess if they need to be relocated or not for improved safety.
- If you are applying medical supplies to an injured person(s,) carefully follow any first aid instructions before and throughout medical action.
- Follow the above principles, step by step. Don’t rush, as that can lead to mistakes.
Things that are typically included in a first-aid box
It can be highly beneficial to carry a first-aid box. Basic first-aid kits contain the following:
- Sterile gauze dressings of the small, medium, and large sizes.
- Crepe and triangular bandages.
- Safety pins and disposable sterile gloves for hands.
- Sticky tape and scissors to cut and bound the cover accurately.
- Cream or spray for temporary relief from the pain.
- Basic painkiller medication (IBU-Profen, Acetaminophen, etc.)
In addition to the above supplies, especially if a first-aid kit is intended for the use of more than one person, it is extremely recommended to include Antibiotics for safety purposes. Having non-dangerous and commonly needed antibiotics in your supply kit can provide quicker treatment and can limit the need for an expensive doctor visit for non-emergent cases. Antibacterials are convenient for getting rid of harmful bacteria that reside in someone while they’re sick or injured. We recommend services like Jase Medical to help you get your first-aid kit stocked with basic, safe and legal antibiotics to use for future medical emergencies. This company connects you with a certified doctor so you can add the following common antibiotics to your first-aid supplies:
First aid preparedness tends to be something that is overlooked. You don’t want to find yourself in a medical emergency without a first-aid kit, wishing that you had previously taken the time to put one together.
Benefits of using a first aid kit
- First-aid kits help to fulfill the essential need of aid while you or someone else is hurt. It can be life-saving assistance before proper medical treatment is available.
- Nothing and no one can guarantee an accident free life. You may not be able to prevent an accident, but you can be prepared for one with proper supplies and education.
- It is beneficial to react to any injury or incident immediately with medical treatments. Having a first-aid kit available can help reduce the risk of infections or the severity of injuries by providing instant care before medical professionals can be contacted.
There are endless reasons for why one should keep a first-aid kit at home, in the car or on their person. Use this resource and continue to educate yourself on why and how you can prepare for a potential medical emergency by keeping a first-aid kit. Review these points wisely and then ask yourself where you are on your first-aid kit prep journey and what your next steps should be.